The Governor has signed a new MA hands-free law banning drivers from using cell phones and other handheld devices while they are driving. Here are some of the details about what you need to know.
- The new law takes effect February 23, 2020
- Enforcement starts April 1, 2020
- Driver can only use a single tap or swipe, or voice to activate phone
- Driver cannot hold the phone, it must be attached to dashboard, windshield or console
- Driver cannot read or watch phone
- Emergencies are excepted
- Fines will be $100 the first time someone is stopped, and the fines go up for subsequent stops
- Driver texting has been forbidden since 2010
If you have questions about how to use GPS or answer your phone in a way that will fit into the new MA hands-free law, please make an appointment and we will show you what you can do. Here is an article from NPR about how the new law will affect you.